ACADEMIC PHASE (270 HRS)
MONTESSORI – THEORY AND PRACTICE (MTP901) CLOCK HOURS: 30
Students will examine the primary tenets of Dr. Montessori through careful reading, discussion and consideration of her concepts, and through observation of these ideas in both Montessori and non- Montessori classrooms as well as in life situations.
CHILD DEVELOPMENT (MTP902) CLOCK HOURS: 20
In order for adults to teach children, they must know the nature of the child, i.e., how he or she develops and learns, and how education can be presented to fit the child at various levels. Dr. Montessori’s unique and singular views of the child have dominated, ebbed and flowed through the history of twentieth and twenty- first centuries of education. The efficacy of these views will be examined by the students in light of their own observations and the research of prominent twentieth and twenty-first century psychologists.
CLASSROOM LEADERSHIP I (MTP903) CLOCK HOURS: 20
Students will become proficient in leading a Montessori classroom through observation of a master teacher, preparation of the learning environment, practice in communication and disciplinary skills, and study of Dr. Maria Montessori’s books. The use of music as a classroom leadership tool will be emphasized.
CHILD, FAMILY AND COMMUNITY (MTP904) CLOCK HOURS: 20
The influence of family, educational environments, teacher, and community upon the intellectual and psychological development of the child between the ages of 2 1⁄2 – 6 years will be reviewed in the context of the Montessori approach, current theory and research.
MONTESSORI MATERIALS – PRACTICAL LIFE (MTP905) CLOCK HOURS: 30
Montessori’s practical life materials are used in order to develop concentration, independence, self- confidence and the ability to choose. Students will examine Montessori’s materials in light of the qualities gained and the efficacy of these materials as a foundation for academic learning. Montessori’s learning principles in giving lessons will be discussed in detail.
MONTESSORI MATERIALS –SENSORIAL (MTP906) CLOCK HOURS: 20
Montessori’s sensorial materials are used in order to develop the ability to choose and to enhance the discrimination of detail in all dimensions with all the senses. Students will examine Montessori’s materials in light of the qualities gained and the efficacy of these materials as a foundation for academic learning. Montessori’s learning principles in giving lessons will be discussed in detail.
MONTESSORI MATERIALS – LANGUAGE (MTP907) CLOCK HOURS: 30
Students will learn Montessori’s methods in language so that their children can be creative, self-motivated and independent, and can reach for their full potential in both areas. Through the use of carefully sequenced, manipulative materials, the students will learn to observe steps in language development and to evaluate difficulties experienced with the hands-on learning. Through emphasis upon art materials, not the product, the student will learn how to present art in a creative manner to children
MONTESSORI MATERIALS – ART, MUSIC AND MOVEMENT (MTP908) CLOCK HOURS: 10
Using variety of mediums and materials, students will learn Montessori’s methods in order to develop the children’s understanding of creative arts, music and movement. Students will examine Montessori’s methods and materials in light of the qualities gained as a foundation for academic learning.
MONTESSORI MATERIALS – GEOGRAPHY AND HISTORY (MTP909) CLOCK HOURS: 30
Students will explore Montessori’s philosophy that, in the early years, children can best absorb their culture. Moving from the whole to the part in geography, and from the part to the whole in history, the carefully sequenced hands-on materials unravel to the child the mysteries of human expression. Students examine the Montessori materials in these areas, both physically and philosophically, to form judgments concerning their viability for young children.
MONTESSORI MATERIALS – SCIENCE (MTP910). CLOCK HOURS: 20
Students will explore Montessori’s philosophy that, in the early years, children can best absorb knowlecge from whole to part. Following an orderly schema from beginning to complex, the science materials including Botany, Geology and Zoology reveal to the child the order, beauty and integration of life. Students examine the Montessori materials in this area, both physically and philosophically, to form judgments concerning their viability for young children.
MONTESSORI MATERIALS – MATHEMATICS (MTP911) CLOCK HOURS: 40
Montessori’s view of the teacher as “guide” who understands the learning process, the children he or she teaches, and the manipulative materials he or she uses is broadly accepted as a viable educational methods. Students will explore the use and value of quantitative, concrete learning materials for children and their connection to the abstract idea/symbol.
PRACTICUM PHASE (720 HRS) – See Student Handbook
CERTIFICATION – See Student Handbook
- Lecture 0 : Language development
- Language 1 Metal Insets First Lesson
- Language 2 Metal Insets 2nd Lesson Making sandpaper letters
- Language 3 Animal sheet – Lower case/capital letter matching
- Language 4 Sandpaper Letters
- Lecture 5 Approach to Reading in Montessori
- Language 6 Sound buckets – Consonants
- Language 7 Familiarity steps
- Language 8 Phonetic objets drawers
- Updates: Pattern & Phonetic Box with Movable Alphabets
- Updates: Stamping, Sound drawers
- Language 8 Phonetic picture cards – Phonetic work pages
- Language 9 First puzzle word – Phonetic reading sentences
- Updates: Vowel Tree-Phonetic Blends
- Language 10 Sandpaper phonograms – Phonogram sound bucket with sandpaper phonograms
- Updates Phonograms
- Language 11 Phonogram sound buckets – phonogram books
- Language 12 Classified nomenclature – Alphabetizing with non-phonetic
- Language 13 Antonoym, Grammar, Poetry
- Updates: Grammar
- Updates: Phonogram Books, Creative Writing
- Lecture 1 Piaget (Before Math presentations)
- Math 2 Numerical Rods and Numerals
- Math 3 Cards and Counters – Colored Beads Positive Snake Game
- Math 4 Introduction to Decimal System – Bird’s Eye View
- Math 5 Teen & Ten Boards
- Math 6 Crisis of Nine – Addition Decimal System)
- Math 7 Addition Strip Board
- Math 8 Addition Stamp Game
- Math 9 Bead Frame & Dot Game
- Math 10 Subtraction & Intro to Multiplication
- Math 11 Multiplication & Division Board
- Math 12 Stamp Game Division, Beads Chain & Fraction
GEOGRAPHY / HISTORY
MUSIC / ART